Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Missive from Roslyn

First...I want to thank my lovely daughter for starting this blog at my husband's request and maintaining it for us during the difficult first weeks of our China odyssey. But now it is time for the baton to be passed to us to share our experiences first hand.


Thank you, Reva.

I have never blogged before...don't do Facebook and am singing a slow diminuendo to most emails. Nevertheless, since my good husband loves to take pictures I shall endeavor to caption them and share pithy observations of our teaching adventure in China.

Along with blogging for the first time, another first is Power Point. Never had the equipment to teach with it before now. And wouldn't you know ... I GET to teach with it now. As if my learning curve isn't steep enough.
Here's something remarkable:  not one ounce of preparation or thought needs to be given to classroom management in our classes. This makes me work even harder to produce the best possible lessons I can to supply their ravaging hunger for knowledge. They don't just work hard; they work smart. You can't help but fall in love with them. They're just so much fun to teach!

We both teach on the northern-most old campus of Shandong University. They assigned us each to teach 3 written and 2 oral English classes. Written English requires hours of preparation and even more homework, reading and assessing students' written work. All freshmen must participate in mandatory military training for the first 3 weeks of school. And because our assigned oral English classes are entirely freshmen, we won't start teaching them until Sept.24th.

No comments:

Post a Comment